[TR] Could a steel shim head gasket be the answer to blowing head gaskets

Allan Reich areich at telus.net
Mon Sep 22 18:26:37 MDT 2008

Greetings ...
Still having problems with my TR3 and blowing head gaskets (and other stuff)
Talking to a respected british car mechanic today, discussing my
problems and told him my cylinder compression readings were 170 to 175,
and he suggested that was pretty high and could be a problem.
So the thought came to me that maybe one of the Moss Steel Shim head
gaskets could be an answer. I understand they were originally used to
lower the compression ratio in countries with lower octane gas.
Have any listers had experience with this??  Would you use a regular
gasket as well?  If both, which would go on the block first?
Allan Reich
Vancouver
1960 TR3A - TS65713L (+O)