[TR] Group 49 battery preferred?

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 20 09:46:48 MDT 2008

My TR3 carries the least expensive group 24 Auto Zone battery I could find
in the factory location with a plastic battery box. It's been in place many
years and shows no sign of over charging: spilling acid. I usually use a
battery disconnect switch if the car's going to sit for a few weeks or
longer; if I can remember to do so, that is. The original Lucas generator
seems to keep it charged, even when running in the rain with all lights on,
the heater blower running, and the wipers making their feeble attempt to
clear the windscreen. I've never had to put the battery on a separate
charger, even when the car's idle for the long Winter months. Do have a hi
torque starter installed, but just to save the original Lucas for the next
owner if there ever is one. Just completed a 2400 mile, 10 day, tour of New
York and New England, including a 7 mile drive up 6200 foot Mt. Washington,
with no problem other than getting my old bones in and out of the car. The
only part replaced was a tail pipe hanger not of Lucas origin.

Ed Woods