[TR] FYI on oil pump problem

Wayne Lee motorcarriage at charter.net
Thu Sep 18 16:38:11 MDT 2008

Having been both a Mechanic and a Machinist, and presently a Tool and Die
Moldmaker in the Die Cast Industry, I would call it a Mechanic's trick to
avoid the time and money of having a machinist fix it. As an industrial
Mechanic we would regularly weld up journals on large Rollers 8' long in a
long bed Lathe with 7014 welding rod or a Spray Welder then turn them, Boil
the Bearing Races in oil and smother the journals with a CO2 Fire
extinguisher for a shrink fit and slide/Tap on as quickly as possible before
they grabbed. There was a time or two I remember some mechanics stippling a
journal if they went undersize and pulling out the miracle goop to add to
it. Not fond memories.
Cheers,
Wayne Lee
Douglas, MA