[TR] Upper Control Arm bushing torque

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 15 14:48:19 MDT 2008

> Maybe the bushings are wrong, though they look like Moss 630-130?

I assume you meant 680-130.

> The nut
> and washer can't pull down directly on the shoulder of the Fulcrum Pin -
> the rubber bushings have shoulders of their own. Tightening the nut/washer
> squeezes the control arm between the bushing shoulders on either side.

Those shoulders do get squeezed to some extent, but my recollection is that
the washer still comes up against the shoulder of the fulcrum pin.  The
sleeve of the A-arm should be enough shorter than the gap between the washer
and the flat of the fulcrum pin that there is room for the bushing to stick
out.

Don't recall where I got them now, but I had a set of bushings that had much
wider shoulders than stock, so there may have been someone selling poor
reproductions of the bushings.  As I recall, they were also tapered where
they fit into the sleeve of the A-arm, while the originals were not.

Since I was tired of changing them every few years anyway, I converted to
Nylatron and solved the problem forever.

Randall