[TR] TR3A Assembly

Alex ambritts at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 15 05:40:54 MDT 2008

Hi Dave,

>A couple of questions:
> 1.  Is the rubber boot seal glued into place?  Mine won't stay on  as I
> expected it to.  If so, what adhesive?

Mine is glued in place. I placed the joint at the bottom.
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive #B1731-80

> 2.  Same question for the spare cover seal.

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive #B1731-80

> 3.  What material is recommended as a seal between the inner and outer
> front
> wings?

3m Strip Caulk #051135-08578    20 yds in 1' x 1/4" lengths I used 2
parallel strips/fender.

> 4.  Is this to be used between the inner and outer rear wings as  well?

I did not use it there, but your option. Easy to work with.

> 5.  The rubber gas cap seal provided was a grooved arrangement that
> slipped
> over the edge of the body panel hole.  Unfortunately, the threaded  male
> part
> of the chrome cap would not fit through the remaining hole to thread  into
> the
> brass under panel piece.  I assembled without for the time  being. The
> part
> ordered appeared to be correct for my car.  Do I  have the incorrect gas
> cap
> assembly?  I don't care to change the  gas cap, just provide a rubber
> seal.

Not sure on this one. I did have a problem getting it to seat correctly. Had
to shorten the  rubber hose length between the tank and the cap. It was a
little tricky because you don't want to cut it too short for obvious
reasons.

> Does anyone have a "known to work" technique for covering the dogleg cap
> just behind the doors?  The supplied kit has leather provided.  I
> originally
> covered mine with vinyl using 3M spray trim adhesive and was quite  happy
> with
> the results until the car sat in the sun and the adhesive let go at  the
> stress
> points.  This is a do over.

I don't remember who supplied me with a picture of the form cut out of 1x4.
It is mounted in a vise and holds the dog leg so you have use of both hands.
I soaked my leather over night in water. Use the same 3M Super Adesive
above. I started at the sharpest curve at the bottom and worked out in both
directions. Make sure to allow the ahesive to flash off before applying.
Makes for a much better job. Don't pull to hard and over stretch the
leather. I have had no problems in Florida heat. I might have a picture of
it or maybe even have the wooden form. Let me know if no one adds in and I
will look for both.
Alex Manzo
72 TR6
59 TR3A