[TR] Anti squeal shims

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 11 09:29:11 MDT 2008

> I believe shims usually
> have
> a  "D" shaped cutout slightly smaller than half the diameter of the
> piston.
> Are these cutouts necessary , or would a plain shim work as well?

I don't have any experience, Tom, but I believe the cutout is an important
part of the squeal suppression.  I've owned a car that had only a cutout
(notch) right on the lip of the caliper piston, with no other anti-squeal
measures, and it's brakes never squealed.  The service manual mentioned that
it was important to turn the notch to the correct angle.

Of course, that doesn't mean you couldn't try it without the cutout.

Randall