[TR] Anti squeal shims

Tom Note tom628 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 23:11:38 MDT 2008

I've made up some anti squeal shims for the noisy front brakes on my '76
TR6, Right now, I have them  as the same size and shape as the pads, with no
cutouts (except holes for the pins, of course). I believe shims usually have
a  "D" shaped cutout slightly smaller than half the diameter of the piston.
Are these cutouts necessary , or would a plain shim work as well? I'll cut
them out if I have to, but it sure would be easier to try the plain version.

My pads currently just have a wire snapped over each pad, apparently to stop
vibration between the pins and pads. Anyone know if the '76 is supposed to
also have the shims?
BTW, pads and rotors are new, bedded per Brembo spec., and TRF anti squeal
adhesive pads on the brake pads.

Thanks for any info.
Tom