[TR] Spark Plug Irritation

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 18:25:20 MDT 2008

Second time occurrence.  This time, racing from one meeting that went late in Concord, to a meeting with feds and other states in Meredith, NH, zooming up Interstate 93 at a bit over 90 mph, blessing the bad economy, reduced state budget, and downsized highway patrol, I suddenly went from 4 purring cylinders to cutting out and then the rough burr of 3 cylinders.  Already guessed the problem.

Was right.

Made it to the meeting, endured it keeping my eyes open the whole while, and at break popped the hood.  The number three spark plug wire had popped off.  What happens is, the little cap on the spark plug had vibrated loose again, until the wire came loose.  Tightened it again with needlenose.

This common to others?  Haven't had it before like this.  Suspect a bit of superglue or locktite might do the trick.  Any better ideas out there?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire