[TR] TR4 Engine Piston Installation

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Tue Sep 9 20:23:23 MDT 2008

New rings on honed liners add a fair amount of drag.  There are two
things you want to be sure of:
1. Rod bearings are correctly sized and don't bind
2. Pistons are properly fitted to the liners

For #1, when two pistons are at the top and two at the bottom it
should be pretty freely turning.  Once you are moving the pistons up
and down it should be harder.  If it's still hard when the pistons
are at top and bottom, you've got something wrong in the bearing area
- either wrong sized bearings or the caps got mixed up.  Each rod cap
is individual to that particular rod.
For #2, you need to measure the pistons and liners before
assembly.  There should be 3 / 4 / 5 thousandths difference depending
on what kind of pistons they are.  I believe this is normally
measured 90 degrees from the wrist pin hole, but it's good to measure
both directions.  Also, measure the liners at multiple points.

With all new stuff, it should take less than, say, 15 ft lbs to turn
it over.  The force required will go up as you add cam and valvetrain, though.

- Tony Drews