[TR] gearbox oil

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Sep 5 11:59:32 MDT 2008

On 5 Sep 2008 at 13:11, Tony Childs wrote:

> I chose to go with straight grade SAE30 oil; in my D-Type overdrive
> when I installed it in my Spit.  I have no delay in engagement or
> disengagement and no slippage at all.  Trans shifts smoothly and no
> noisy gears.

When I first installed a rebuilt gearbox w/OD from QM I used non-D 30
as John E recommended.  It worked okay (after I replaced the solenoid
and then the entire OD, but that's a different story).  But what I
also observed was that the shifting behavior changed with gearbox
temperature.  Perhaps it is because the only non-D oil I could find
was probably pretty cheap stuff, but it seemed to thin out rather
badly as the box warmed.  When I recently switched to Valvoline
Racing Oil 20w50, that behavior went away.  Now it feels smooth and
lightly damped no matter the temperature.  And the OD works like a
charm, as God and L. de N. intended.

Just my observation.  YMMV.

--
Jim Muller