[TR] gearbox oil

Tony Childs tochilds at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 5 11:11:40 MDT 2008

Okay,

Take a look a the information posted at this link:

http://www.quantumechanics.com/categories.php?op=newindex&catid=11

After reviewing the information from the link above from the guys that know
a heck of lot more than I concerning overdrives and trannys, I chose to go
with straight grade SAE30 oil; in my D-Type overdrive when I installed it in
my Spit.  I have no delay in engagement or disengagement and no slippage at
all.  Trans shifts smoothly and no noisy gears.  Also, keep in mind that
engine oil and gear oil viscosities are not rated on the same scale.  At the
same temps, 30 weight motor oil and 90 weight gear oil are very similar in
viscosity.  Just my opinion - YMMV.

Tony Childs
72 Spitfire
FK38809UO