[TR] TR6 Low Rev Miss

Mitch ms6453 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 1 19:06:36 MDT 2008

Darrell,

 From your description you may have a rotor phasing issue. Listen
carefully to the distributor cap at idle. Do you hear a popping inside.
Is your stumble, miss usually take place right off idle under light or
more aggressive acceleration? Does it always seem to happen under 1,500
rpm's. These are the symptoms generally of incorrect rotor phasing.
Basically this means your rotor is probably slightly short of firing the
proper terminal & also arcing to the terminal behind it. Usually the
rotor is retarded, the points have opened, the rotor has not fully
reached the terminal & the spark jumps from the back of the rotor contact.

Take an old cap & drill a hole through the #1 terminal. With the cap off
use a test light to find the exact point the #1 cylinder is firing. Put
the cap on & take note of the rotor position. It should be just
contacting the cap #1 contact point. If it is before the terminal the
rotor is out of phase & has to be advanced. This can be done a few
different ways. If this is the case let me know & I'll run through what
I did for a fix.

--

Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.