[TR] a bulb not doing anything, not TR

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 29 15:17:13 MST 2008

> Can any of you suggest which part of the dashboard I should disassemble to
> find it?  The car was inspected in August, so that hurdle won't come
> around again for a while.  But on the other hand, it is still a non-
> functional bulb that I would like to fix and may be required legally to
> fix, inspection or no.

Jim,

Given how much I hate working under modern dashboards (and my doubt that the
problem is located there); my suggestion would be to find the matching wire
to the LH parking light, tap into that, and run a new wire over to the RH
fixture.

Probably before doing that, you should temporarily try supplying 12v
directly to the wire to the RH fixture and be sure that makes it work, since
it could also be a problem with the fixture itself.  Perhaps you've already
done that, but it sounds like you just looked at it, and it's hard to see
those electrons especially when they aren't there. <g>

But I would not expect the two lamps to have separate wires all the way back
to the headlight switch, since the two bulbs operate from the same circuit
and wire costs money.  So the joint between the wires is probably hidden
somewhere inside the harness.

My other suggestion would be to buy a factory manual, which should have a
wiring diagram and harness routing information.  2003 is probably too old to
buy one from a dealer, but I've had good luck finding such things on eBay
with a little hunting.  RSS feeds and Google Reader make a convenient way to
repeatedly search (for me anyway).

Randall