[TR] Odd problem with 3A

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 19:47:20 MST 2008

Thanks to all!!  This is a new renovation (not restoration) and I had  the
tank out and dropped a pen light and mirror in the tank and checked it all  out.
 It looked clean and so I flushed it with gas with the bungs out of  the
bottom and put it back in.  I have a clear fuel filter and, yes, there  is crud in
it.  I have eliminated the hot coil as I do not have to shut off  the car for
very long at all in order for it to recover.  (maybe 15 seconds  sometimes)
Let me relate a story.  I also have a TR6 and once a few years  ago I had the
exact same problem.  Turns out a PO had sealed the cover on  the fuel pump
with gasket sealer.  A little ooze made it to the front carb  and floated around
in there until it got right in the right palce and,  misfire.  I shut off the
car and the little crud would float away from the  float valve and all was
well again until it found its way back to the problem  area.  I was sure this
was a repeat of the same thing, however I did not  find anything but fine crud
in the float bowls.  One thing of interest that  I did not post before.  As a
neophyte I did what I probably should not have  done and rebuilt the motor
first.  Once the chassis was complete I mounted  the motor and set up a temporary
wiring harness, temp gauge and oil pressure  gauge and started the motor.  I
ran it for 30 minutes or so at about 2000  RPM and did that a couple of times.
The point being is that I had gas in  the carbs for the many months while I
did the body (maybe a year).  There  was like an orange residue in the bottom
of the bowls (along with the fine crud)  so I sprayed carb cleaner in to
disolve it.  I raised the level of the carb  cleaner to the fuel inlet and darker
orange crud came out.  I cleaned it  all up, syphoned out all the gas from the
bowls, wiped them down, reassembled  and started the car.  It ran like crap.
After a few moments it evened  out and idled very well with excellent throttle
response.  I will drive it  in the next day or so.
Is this residue from Ethanol in the gas?

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO
steps!