[TR] Trunnion Shafts

Cameron Joyce cameronjoyce at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 21 19:17:06 MDT 2008

Ready to insert and ream the bushings to fit the trunnion shafts/pins on the
3A, but noticed how pitted and worn the shafts are... it would take an ugly
reamer to get an exact fit!  There is visible wear on the top of one side of
a shaft such that there is a 1/16" depression/ridge, the undersides are pock
marked and rough, and certainly out of round.  From scouring the archives, I
see there are two options - new repro replacement trunnions which include
shafts, which are apparently of inferior quality vs. the originals, or
press in new cross shafts only available from Revington TR.  Apart from the
shafts, the trunnions appear to be in great condition.  My parts source
recommends new ones ( and going to 3 degree vs. original 0 degree), and
wasn't aware cross shafts could be changed.

The archives are light on comparing the results of the two options, so
wondering what others experience has been.  How is the quality of the new
parts, and is there a preference for one vs another of the big 3? What is
the turnaround/shipping time from Revington? What else is involved if I opt
to change to the later 3 degree trunnions?

Cameron Joyce

'59 TR3A