[TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Oct 14 14:13:46 MDT 2008

> When applying additional throttle going up a hill the tick
> is very evident...  In my hill example, once the throttle
> is decreased a bit the tick goes away.

That's not quite what I meant by road speed vs. rpm.  What you describe is that it is louder when the drivetrain is under accelerative stress (or non-existent when it isn't).

What I meant can be checked only by shifting gears.  Shift gears but keep the road speed more or less constant, but try to maintain however much acceleration is needed to make the noise show up.  If the ticking frequency speed stays about the same after you shift while you try to keep the car moving about the same speed, then it is coming from the output shaft of the gearbox or the diff or the rear axles, tires, etc.  If the ticking frequency changes noticeably, faster or slower according to what the engine did, then it is coming from the engine or the gearbox input shaft.
--
Jim Muller