[TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 13 14:27:14 MDT 2008

> The problem: An annoying loud tick sound when the car is
> under load( Could it be a ping?

One way to answer the question : back off the timing by about 6 degrees
(with the vernier).  Verify with the timing light that it actually moves the
timing.  If the sound doesn't disappear or at least change noticeably, it's
something other than too-advanced ignition timing.  After the experiment,
put the timing back where it was.

> All of the above is to no avail. I have ruled out valve
> clatter as I only hear it under load (is this a safe
> assumption?)

Should be.  However there are lots of other mechanical problems that can be
described as a ticking sound under load.  Unfortunately, an incipient rod
knock is one of them.  Exhaust leaks at the manifold/head joint also
sometimes show up as ticking noises.

Randall