[TR] TR3 Tick Tick Tick

Ed Oot eoot at citlink.net
Mon Oct 13 06:52:54 MDT 2008

Listers,

Need some thoughts on this one.

The problem: An annoying loud tick sound when the car is under load( Could it
be a ping? Is one man's tick another man's ping?) I digress.

Ignition is utilizing Pertronix

Attempted solution: I have messed with the timing in an effort to elimiante of
decrease the problem to no avail. This includes setting the timing using
various methods including but not limited to: 1)rotating the dizzy to the fast
RPM, road tesing and then adjusting vernier. 2) Timing light. Tried various
settings based on timing light reading. 3) Set #1 to TDC on compression stroke
and then set static using multimeter to determine firing. Use vernier to
change advance.

All of the above is to no avail. I have ruled out valve clatter as I only hear
it under load (is this a safe assumption?) I believe that this started after I
played with the timeing a bit in an attempt to improve performance.

Thoughts please
TIA
Ed