[TR] 1974 TR6

Mark Steph tr6 at pobox.com
Sat Oct 11 12:44:04 MDT 2008

You're probably going to get a lot of advice on "the right thing to do."

Let me just do the exact opposite.  I have owned my 75 TR6 since 1983.
I've had the exact same problem as you are describing.  Add to this that
there have been many times where the old girl has sit idle awaiting an
engine rebuild, tranny rebuild or any of another hundred projects.  And
my battery drain always seemed to come and go -- so when I would break
down and test -- I'd find nothing.

So the wrong advice is this:
1. the next time you buy a battery, buy a boat battery.  You have a huge
battery box and there is almost nothing too big.  Just find one with the
CCA's you are looking for.  Boat batteries have reinforcements on the
plates and are less likely to warp.  They are designed for the folks
that drive their boats all summer and then let them sit idle all winter.

2. Buy a $9 battery cut off switch.  When you pull into the garage, pop
the hood and throw the switch.  (I have not attended that many Triumph
events, but the couple I've been to, I was amazed just how many people
had a battery switch -- even during judging events.)

I did this 5 years ago -- and never had a noticeable battery issue since
then.  (I still have one -- it's just not noticeable.)

--

http://SporkInTheEye.blogspot.com