[TR] Piece of Crap H2O Heater Valve

John & Pat Donnelly pdonnel1 at san.rr.com
Mon Oct 6 20:15:08 MDT 2008

The water heater valve on the TR4-TR6 sucks. I've replaced three so far in
the last 15 years.

Yesterday, the last day of T-Fest, the morning was cold. We went home over
Monitor Pass at 8700 feet, and the water heater valve wouldn't open by the
controls on the dash. It got down to 24 degrees, and this So Cal boy and
wife froze.  But, what a view!

Then, after stopping to open the bonnet and manually open the valve, it
started leaking. Damn, only another 650 miles to go! We did make it home
though.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. By coincidence, during a trip to see Bill
Harrah's Auto Museum in Reno (what a great car museum), Angus Murdoch, Dave
Stauffacher and I talked about replacing the crappy valve with a industrial
type ball valve and running a lever into the cabin to open and close it.
Might even provide a better control of the heat. Has anyone done this? Do
you have pictures?

Johnnie in San Diego

Finally warmed up, and glad to have made the 1600 mile round trip without a
"major" incident.