[TR] TR3 clutch pressure

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 22:14:44 MST 2008

> Any one know what the approximate line pressure is when you
> depress the clutch pedal on a TR3?

If you dig around on the Buckeye Triumphs site, you should find Nelson's
clutch articles.  Written for a TR6, but a TR3 should be reasonably similar.
The pressure required varies with the clutch plate installed, but is roughly
in the 250-300 psi neighborhood.

> IM trying to bench test the assembly. I put some fluif in
> there to keep the O ring wet and have hooked up the
> compressor to see if I can make the pressure plate compress.

Alas, not likely.

> The transmission is hooked up to the motor. All the pedals,
> lines, reservoir ETC are out of the car. it would be a real
> pain to set up a pedal assembly on a piece of ply.

Haven't measured it, but I'll bet my Mercury Marine oil gun will hit 400 psi
... Of course you'd have to be VERY careful to clean it thoroughly first, as
you don't want the least trace of oil or grease in the clutch fluif.

Or, arranging a pedal substitute might be easier than trying to mount the
pedal assembly ... clamp the MC in a vise then bend a length of all-thread
to fit through the other ear and form a pivot for a length of flat iron for
the pedal.  Or not.

Randall