[TR] Rim removal - Non TR question

ZoboHerald at aol.com ZoboHerald at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 20:17:00 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/25/2008 10:07:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
mhooper at digiscreen.ca writes:

I ran  into an odd problem seemingly rust related (on a totally un-rusted
car).
I  jacked up the first corner, undid all five wheel bolts on the first rim
and
was then still completely unable to remove the rim by hand. Kicking  very hard
did nothing at all, the rim seemed welded to the car. It took a  10-pound
sledge, a baulk of firewood and about 10 good hard whacks around  the edge of
the rim to have it suddenly spring free, seemingly perfectly  fine. The metal
surface (the centre of the brake disc) the rim was bolted  to was indeed
lightly rusted, but not badly. I had to repeat the same  performance for each
rim on the car.

==AM==
I've had this happen a lot in recent years with various cars and regular
steel wheels. Hondas, Toyotas, and even a '91 Ford Explorer, where the front
wheels had the nasty habit of taking off the auto-locking hubs with them. On all
of these, where the problem seemed to be was in the very centers of the
wheels,  which seem to be more "hub-centric" as opposed to the lug-centric wheels
we're  used to on Triumphs.

I've taken to lightly greasing the inside "rim" of the center of the wheel
before replacing it. How long-term a solution this is, I don't yet  know. I've
also learned just how to sit on the ground, stretch out my legs  and kick the
snot out of the tire and wheel to get a stubborn one loose (except  during the
last months of the Explorer, as it sat half-dead in my yard. There  was at
least one wheel I never did get off again before some sucker offered me a  small
amount of cash for that rusted beast)!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.
--  Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22)

Triumph 10 /  Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: _http://www.vtr.org_ (http://www.vtr.org/)

Check out the North  American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: _http://triumph-herald.us_ (http://triumph-herald.us/)