[TR] Refurbishing wire wheels

davewillner dwillner at ptd.net
Tue Nov 25 07:45:45 MST 2008

John,

I had my original set of wires on the MGB blasted and powder coated by a
very reputable coater last February, the wheels looked fantastic, perfect
warm grey color, matched to a tee.  After about 2 months I had noticed that
around the nipples rust had started creeping out pretty much on every wheel
and every spoke. There is no way any type of blasting can get in there so
any and all of the rust will eventually creep out and up the spoke and
around the nipple, looks now actually worse than before I had the work done.
Pretty expensive lesson.

I would recommend to have them painted and clear coated, I'm sure there are
people on the list that would disagree, but that's my experience. I'm not
sure at this point the best method and process to correct mine, I'm thinking
of having them blasted, sprayed with a rust encapsulator, i.e. POR 15 type
product, Eastwoods, etc. and then have them painted. If I had known, I would
of just had them resprayed. My .02

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg, PA
59 TR3A Apple Green