[TR] 1)Engine Block Interior, Liner Paint &2)Venting

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 21 21:53:48 MST 2008

I don't know why GE developed Glyptal, but I remember seeing it in the
Allied Radio catalog in the late 1950's for use as a paint-on insulation for
electrical connections and components.  I think it was intended for similar
uses as the stuff you can buy at hardware stores today.  But Glyptal was
certainly a high-perforamnce product as opposed to the consumer stuff you
can buy in the electrical department at Home Depot, etc. today.  Back then
it was really expen$ive too - for a little bottle.  Must be less expensive
today if people regularly coat entire insides of engines "just because".

I thought that racers had discovered its usefulness for race engines maybe
30 years ago, for smoothing out the inside of blocks to allow oil to flow
back to the pan (and thus the pump) faster.

But I dunno, really...

Karl