[TR] cars for kids

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Nov 21 14:12:55 MST 2008

On the occasion of my second marriage, we combined two families - my two
girls and Kathy's two boys and one girl.  The five kids' ages spanned five
years - the oldest was 18.  I don't think there was an occasion when each
had their own car, but during the five years that it took before the
youngest went off to college, we had various extra vehicles that they
shared.  There was an S10 pick-up (demolished by #1 son), an Olds Cutlass
(outlasted all the kids), a couple of Tempos (one rolled by #2 son and one
rusted away), an Audi 4000Q that used to be mine and that ALL the kids
learned to drive a manual transmission on, and on which the clutch failed
after a mere 225,000 miles (sold to an ice racer), and, last of all, a brand
new Ranger pick-up that we leased for about $230/month.  My son drove it the
year before he left for college and then it became MINE!!  Since then, I
have parlayed that little Ranger into a nice extended cab F150 4X4.  So, it
all worked out in the end.

And, I vote for a basic pick-up, 4 cylinder with stick, but get a new one
and get the warranty.  For every "cheap" beater that i bought, I spent more
than the purchase price in fixing it - and I did the fixing myself.  Buying
a beater was a false economy in my case.  YMMV, however.

Mike