[TR] Teenager car

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 08:34:47 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/19/2008 7:27:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jmcoh at comcast.net writes:

Terry,

I am a big proponent for the Subaru as the best teen car,  especially where
we live.  It is super reliable, gets in the mid 20s  for  gas mileage  and
the AWD can't be beat in the snow and ice.  It is not unusual to see them
running around with 175k on them.  I  bought a 97 outback wagon for my 16 yo
daughter and she loves it.  It  has 134 k and we have put nothing into it
other than routine  maintenance.  I would recommend any car you buy for a
teen have ABS  and front airbags for safety because they will make mistakes.
Don't spend a  lot because they will hit things.  Not a matter of if, it's a
matter  of when.  I have been thru this twice so I speak from  experience.

I was about to suggest the same thing. I first discovered Subaru's in the
Outback in Australia. I asked the locals why they were so popular.The answer I
got was their reliability. Wioth sometimes 400 miles between towns, a highway
failure could be fatal.

I noticed in the latest consumers reports  annual buying  guide, used Subarus
(at least the Forester) are recommended for every  single year model ever
made.

We have a 2007 Forester and drive it much more than our luxury German  car
(which frequently has $3000 failures!)..

Mike Moore