[TR] TR "Standard" motor rebuild.

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Nov 18 20:30:07 MST 2008

On 18 Nov 2008 at 17:39, Skip Gurnee wrote:

> Mike Moore wrote:
> ...My point is, there just isn't enough horsepower no matter what
> > you do-you get used to whatever you have.

> I agree...
followed eventually by
> Nah, just not enough power.

Interesting example of the ambituity of ideas.  "Getting used to
whatever you have" can mean getting used to less (less than what?
than some ideal standard?) so that one ceases to feel the loss.  In
other words, you become happy with what you've got.  This is how I
interpreted Mike's comment.

Or it can mean getting so used to more (presumably more than the car
had before you spent money on upgrades!) that you no longer feel it
is special.  In other words, you are no longer happy with it.  This
is what Skip seems to be saying.

What's a bloke to think?  On an absolute scale, the faster car sure
is faster.  On a subjective scale there is no difference unless the
difference is big and the driver is familiar enough with the
possibilities to notice.

Just my $0.005, of course.  (David Lylis, the economy is even more
worse than you thought.  But it's all subjective. :-)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+