[TR] TR "Standard" motor rebuild.

john taylor jat1127 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 13:50:23 MST 2008

Listers,

 It has been many years since I have rebuilt a "TR" (tr2-4) series motor but
in racing them myself and making a few for others we used the simple recipe
from Kastner.
 I know we milled the heads, all TR3 type, .90 thou and spent a good deal of
time polishing the chambers and cutting in the edge facing the valves. We used
two different Isky cams, maybe models 666 and 777, it was long ago?? and also
a model from a company in Bedford MA, their timing was slightly retarded
depending on the motors speed range. All parts were well polished and WELL
balanced.

 Once we ahd a package we ran some dyno tests in Barrs in Glastonbury CT. The
motors ran low130ish with the "small" Isky and upper 130ish (138) hpish with
the larger.

 Most of the motors were 2138 and perhaps one or two 1991cc.

 They lasted forever. I ran one in a TR3 street car for years.

 Yes, we did take more off some heads heading for .150 and we never tested one
but they had lots of power.

 If anyone is building a TR series motor I ask... why leave it stock?

A weee bit more work and only a few more dollars gives plenty more fun!

 We also did a setup of air pressure lever arm shocks.

 Just a couple of pounds of air in a remote reservoir that also gave some
extra fluid capacity. It worked? as we had it but never took it to far.

Great funJohn John TaylorGreenfield, Ma Gloucester, Ma USA. * ALWAYS BE SAFE *
Life is not a race.....you do not want to finish first.