[TR] rubber restorative?

Jerry Van Vlack jerryvv at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 13 17:31:32 MST 2008

If the bulb is Natural rubber and not a synthetic it will swell
significantly. My guess is that it is Natural rubber as that's the least
expensive to compound. Natural Rubber is really good for vibration dampening
and frequently used in engine and transmission mounts but when it gets oil
soaked it looses its advantage. Have you seen how bad the Transmission
mounts get once oil soaked. A rubber compounded for oil resistance would not
be affected at all.
For an extreme example of what happens put a bellows from an OD solenoid in
gasoline for a few days and see how large it swells. I had a friend do that
once, he thought it would help clean off the grease, it did.
JVV