[TR] tired of tire stores

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 21:51:44 MST 2008

> > Also ask them to check for runout at the surface of the tire.
>
> This term stumps me however.  What do you mean by runout at
> the surface?  Visibly inconstant radius as the wheel spins?

Yes, exactly.  Either the wheel or the tire may not be true; or I've heard
that sometimes the tire doesn't seat onto the wheel properly.  Doing the
check on the car gives you an "end to end" check of all the tolerances.
Lateral runout (where the tire appears to move side-to-side as the wheel
turns) is less important, but if it's large it should probably be corrected
(usually by replacing the wheel).

None of the things I suggested are normally required, these are extreme
measures for hard-to-solve problems.

Don't recall which car now, but I've actually had tires 'shaved' on the car
to make them run true.  Afterwards, we marked the wheel & one stud, so the
wheel could be reinstalled in exactly the same location (tho perhaps that
wasn't necessary).  Hmm, maybe that was the Audi 100LS I bought in FL that
had such a terrible vibration that I couldn't drive it home to IN.

Randall