[TR] tired of tire stores

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 19:29:47 MST 2008

> Well actually, I've had all four of them on the GT6,
> but been at tire shops chasing a tire problem.

Jim, not all tire stores are created equal.  If that one won't work with
you, find another one.  Even different stores in the same chain can vary
widely; the local "Discount Tire" has tried to rip me off every time I've
gone there, while a few miles down the street "Americas Tire" is owned by
the same company and they have always treated me right.  They also have a
restaurant right next door, so I can drop the car off, walk next door for
Chinese food, then pick the car up when I'm done.

One of the most important aspects is to ensure that their equipment is
locating your wheels the same way your car does.  I don't know about
Spitfires, but most Triumphs locate the wheels by the lug holes rather than
the center hole; while most tire balancing equipment locates by the center
hole.  This can lead to all sorts of problems, if the center hole is damaged
or simply not concentric for some reason.

Another potential problem may be that the hub and brake rotor are not
balanced, or perhaps even not concentric.

Tires can also fail in such a way that they do not roll evenly, even when
balanced perfectly.

For a way forward, I would call around and see if anyone has the equipment
to balance the tires on the car.  This neatly sidesteps the problem of how
the balancing equipment holds the wheel, or the hubs being out of balance.
Also ask them to check for runout at the surface of the tire.

If it still hops after that, IMO it's time for a new tire.

Randall