[TR] tired of tire stores

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Nov 4 14:55:07 MST 2008

For the last month or so I've been chasing a problem with one or more tires on the GT6.  Well actually, I've had all four of them on the GT6, but been at tire shops chasing a tire problem.  One at least, probably the RF, is out of balance and/or out of round.  At certain speeds I can see the RF of the bonnet hopping up and down and feel it in the steering.  Eventually that side's latch will pop open.

The trouble is, is that I don't have much time these days.  I have to squeeze the calendar for such chores.  First I speak to the shop over the phone about the problem, ask about their selections, what they suggest, etc.  Then I drive over when I can.  That's when the frustration starts.

One shop tried to balance them, showed me how much hop one tire had (I think it was the RF), pointed to an absurd amount of weight they had to add, blah blah blah.  One shop had almost no selection (in either 155/80x13 or 175/70x13) even though their website bragged about how they had everything.  The attendants then have to tell me about how I need to worry about rust.  (Tell me more!)  Then they question the steering and bearing stability.  (Duh, I know the state of the tie rod ends.  I've replaced them all recently.  And adjusted the bearing play.)  Then they mistrust the chrome plating on the lug nuts.  Then thoroughly mistrust the funny Triumph lugnuts with the washers to hold on the spring-loaded hubcaps (which are no longer on the car).  Then they see the rear wheel camber, especially on the Spitfire, and tell me I need to have them aligned because those wheels are "kicked out".  The final straw is always that, though they encourage walk-in business, I'll have to wait 9!
0 minutes before they can even get to my car and the promised 30min wait after that will most certainly be another 90min.  I can't squeeze that tight.

You know, if I keep it under an indicated 65 (which is actually in the lower 60's), it's pretty smooth.  Maybe I'll just wait till spring.
--
Jim Muller
'70 GT6