[TR] TR-3 Camber adjustment

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 4 08:37:11 MST 2008

>  Number one - The Camber: RH side 1/2 degree negative, LH
> side 2  degrees positive. It pulls like the dickens. What's
> ideal for the street and how  does one make changes that the
> factory didn't provide for?

Original spec was 2 deg positive; so you've got something badly bent in the
RH suspension.  Although there are several ways to make changes to camber,
IMO you should find and fix whatever is bent (since it may also be broken or
worse yet, nearly so).  On one of my TR3As, part of the lower front
suspension pulled away from the frame.  The upper A-arms also sometimes
crack and lose their shape.  Or the stub axle/vertical link may be bent
and/or cracked.

On the 3A with the suspension pulled out of the frame, the pulling was
controllable or so I thought.  Until one day I had to make a sudden stop,
and could NOT keep the car on my side of the road!  Fortunately there was no
one coming the other way ...

1.5 degrees of camber is about 0.4" at the rim of the wheel, which should be
over 1/4" at the A-arms.  It shouldn't be that hard to inspect and find the
problem, if you remove the wheels and compare side to side.

Randall