[TR] body to sill fit

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sat Nov 1 16:12:01 MST 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 12:21:13 Gary Nafziger wrote:
> frame up restore on tr-3
> I have my body tub split into two pieces while i work
> on replacing rusted out places on each clip.  just received a new left sill
> (right one back ordered) mounted it and tentatively fit the front clip.
> Looks like rear of front clip fits ok to sill but farther forward fit is
> around 3/8th off.  tentatively measuring things it looks like the other
> side will also be off over an inch.
>
> my question is to anyone who has done a body
> off.  does the body fit down on sills?  how did your body fit?  is there
> lots of fudging/budging to do? lol
>
> thanks!
> gary n.
Gary,

When I did my 58 3, the body fit was good up to and including the 4 bolt floor
areas.

The front required a bit of pulling etc by putting a philips screw driver in
the body and frame holes and pulling tugging etc.

Body received new rockers as well as numerous patches to the floors.

But the 3 was really damaged before I started the restoration.

Once I got the holes to line up I used clamps to hold the body to the frame
while I inserted bolts etc.

When I did the 4, believe it or not every hole lined up perfect. I was able to
lower the body on the frame all by myself with a chain fall. If I remember
correctly, I was able to get it all bolted up in about 2 hours one Saturday
morning.

My current project, a 72 TR6, will require rear B-post repair and some minor
pin holes in the floors (rust). Sills and rockers are solid. As far as I can
see this car has never been hit. I expect the body to line up perfect when it
gets re-assembled in about 2 years or so.