[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 259

David Ljung Madison team.net at daveola.com
Wed May 28 07:29:51 MDT 2008

> I don't know about going to another driveshaft until after I talk to
> Herman, but it sounds like a good idea.

Some cars need this, some don't.  Herman's kit has that locking
collar for the driveshaft, but if the position you lock it in
is *not* fully extended, then that means as the car is bouncing
around, the driveshaft can extend fully and ram the output flange
into the rear seal.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened
to your car.  If that's the case, then you do want to pull your
driveshaft and either have it shortened or just replaced with a
solid driveshaft.

When I extended the driveshaft to the correct length to have enough
play between the output flange and the rear seal, I was fortunate on
my car that this was the full extension of the driveshaft.  So
once I put the locking collar on, the driveshaft had no slip in it
(presuming the locking collar holds :).

If I were you, I'd see if the output flange can be extended
towards the transmission closer than the tolerances Herman
suggests.  If it can't but there's visible damage to the rear
seal, please let us know - because that would imply that
the tolerances Herman gives aren't big enough, which would
be very good to know.

Dave