[TR] Transmission whine

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Tue May 27 17:43:11 MDT 2008

Tony,
Herman and Helena are in NZ celebrating their 50th anniversary and won't be
back until June 9th. If your tranny was low on fluid, did you check to see
if the tranny flange has moved either in or out and damaged the rear seal? I
know Herman has seen a few damaged rear seals because of the flange moving
when the driveshaft slip moves in and/or out. I don't know if that problem
also applies to TR3s. The problem with the Toyota W58 tranny is that bearing
and seal replacement requires a complete teardown of the tranny and the
bearing seal kit alone costs about $250. Add labor to it and you're probably
better off finding another junk yard tranny.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
Toyota 5 Speed & Nissan LSD