[TR] Transmission whine

Anthony Cascio allegrorover at mac.com
Tue May 27 16:25:29 MDT 2008

Ok Folks,
I am in Durango, Co, with the TR3, it has the Toyota 5 speed.
I was driving towards Mesa Verde and the tranny started to whine
pretty loud.
It kinda stopped shifting so I pulled over checked for leaks and
clutch fluid, all ok.
I was able to get going again after 10 or so minutes, drove fine,
still whinning.
I took it into a local shop Dan's auto repair, nice guy and added
quite a bit of gear oil to the tranny!!! (not good)
Car runs fine still got the whine, I'm guessing the main shaft bearing
may have fried......(not good)
Any thoughts????
I guess I might be replacing the tranny in the 20' trailer that I'm
pulling behind the RV. (that'll be fun)
But before I do that I would appreciate any suggestions from you folks
out there.
By the way I drove the car back another 35 miles to the RV park, all
went well besides the whine, worse in 1st and 5th.
PS anyone got Herman's telephone number handy, maybe he'll have some
ideas as well.
Tony Cascio
58 TR3A
TS27093L