[TR] TR3 Steering Rack Conversion?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun May 25 17:05:00 MDT 2008

> The only part
> IMO that you will have  to farm out is the replacement of the
> rocker shaft bush

Changing the bushing was trivial, compared to getting the Pitman arm off the
rocker shaft.  Threaded rod, flat washers and a socket or two.  And the
easiest way to remove the seal is to pull it out with the bushing, IMO.

> Follow the directions and pay close attention  to
> the tolerances

I'll second that !  After years and years of doing it "by feel", I finally
re-checked my work with a cheap dial indicator (indicator and magnetic base
$20 from Enco) and found I was missing the mark by .004".  The results of
that rebuild were truly eye-opening; it steered great !

Another mistake I think some people make is to not have the top adjustment
backed off (or removed entirely) while setting the shaft end float.

But the main thing that stopped me from even considering a R&P conversion
was the loss of the non-rotating control head and turn signals.  To me, it's
part of the car, and having an MGA turn signal mounted on the dash Just
Ain't Right.

My two pence, YMMV, etc.
Randall - gonna try curing some PC in the kitchen oven while SWMBO is
napping ...