[TR] Blood Sacrifice to the Triumph Gods

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at comcast.net
Sat May 17 05:54:09 MDT 2008

As a doctor, I should know better, but.....

About six months ago, I was invited to have an MRI as part of a research
effort.  As I jumped into the magnet, the technician said, "You aren't a
metal worker, are you?" "No" I said, "I'm a doctor"  "Good" she replied,
"Just want to make sure you've never done any grinding or had a piece of
metal I your eye"

Remembering a time when I felt a stinging sensation after grinding down a
particularly large weld, I excused myself from the MRI and went to my local
optician who promptly took pictures of the TWO rust spots in my conjunctivae
and then removed two metal splinters.

Warning to all would-be restorers:  I always wear goggles, but hot splinters
can make their way into eyes with minimal discomfort and MR magnets can be
very dangerous.  Always worth a mention if you are scheduled for an MR exam.

Andrew Uprichard (MD)
'62 TR3B
'59 TR3A (almost ready for painting !)
Massachusetts