[TR] Ruining rheostats

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sun May 11 09:12:48 MDT 2008

Tim, thanks for adding this info.  Until I knew about this difference between
Lucas and US fuses, I always thought of US fuses as blowing instantly at
anything above the rated current value.  I suppose that one could think of the
US fuses as somewhat "slow-blow" compared to the Lucas versions.

Once I realized that there was a difference, I just use the factor of 2 as an
approximation of the conversion of one to the other.

I guess I would find the US rating system as making more sense.  It follows
the pattern that your wiring harness will melt in an overload situation.  A
little overload will only slowly fry the wires, so you do not need the fuse to
blow instantly.  A major overload (2X?) will heat the harness fast and needs
to have the fuse let go PDQ.

-Tony

P.S.  The English wire sizes (by # of strands) is helpful for calculating the
current capacity.  It is generally about 0.5A per strand.