[TR] TR4 Brake line restrictor valve

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri May 9 18:11:44 MDT 2008

> I lost the tiny valve that sits inside the 4-way connection
> that, I assume,
> keeps the front brakes sound if the rear ones spring a leak.

Nope, not what it does.  Look carefully, it's between the MC and all the
brakes.

What it does do, in theory, is hold a small amount of pressure in the brakes
all the time.  This in turn keeps the caliper pistons extended so the pads
touch the rotor, even if the rotor wobbles a little due to spindle flex,
bearing play, etc.  Otherwise, you get a low brake pedal after hard
cornering.

> No listing, naturally, for a replacement at the usual places.
> Anyone have a
> spare valve lying around?

Happens I do.  Write me off-list if you're interested.

> I think the system will work fine without the valve, minus the safety
> feature, correct?

Yup.  I deliberately removed the guts of my RPV many years ago (since it
also makes the front brakes drag a bit all the time) and I've never
regretted it.  Takes some really spirited driving to cause the low pedal and
then a single pump brings it up where it belongs; so it's not a been problem
for me.

And I'm anticipating that Uncle Jack's improved spindles and spacers will
eliminate the low pedal (but haven't tried it yet).

> For those of you who want the original mild steel,

No thanks.  I already lost one car due to rotted steel lines, so this time
around I'm going with the Cunifer lines.

Randall