[TR] TR4 Yellow Fan upgrade completed

Daehler, William F william.f.daehler at delphi.com
Mon Mar 31 08:39:06 MST 2008

This project was mostly straightforward, but there were some inevitable
hiccups.

During the hot summer months in Wisconsin I had been fighting a marginal
over-heating problem on my TR4.  On a really hot day I found myself
carefully planning my trips to avoid catching three stop lights in a
row, preferring to use the wide open road.

There had been discussion on the implementation of the TR6 yellow fan as
an recognizable upgrade from the four crude slaps of sheet metal that I
was issued with..  I am a thorough list lurker, and was aware of the
electric fan alternative, but was not too eager to go down the road of
removing the hub extension (possible English vibration dampener), adding
a thermostat control circuit, the alternator upgrade and ripping out the
Lucas control box, etc etc.

The direction I choose was to buy a yellow fan and a TR3 hub extension
on EBay.  This hub is about 3/4" shorter than the TR4 hub, which allows
for the extra thickness of the eight bladed fan.

I drained and pulled the radiator, and went at it.  The unexpected
problem that I ran into was that while the TR3 hub helpfully shorter, it
was also cast quite a bit stockier than the TR4 hub.   When I mounted it
to the crankshaft, this hub was sitting on the steering rack, like it
almost does anyway with two year old motor mounts.

Using some gage blocks at work I was able to determine how much extra
material I could turn off on a lathe, which I had done. A little spray
paint on the machined area, some reassembly and I was done. Back in with
the radiator and a refill.  Wow, the price of anti-freeze is up!  $12.99
a gallon.

I started the engine, yes I do have to use a little ether, after sitting
through the Wisconsin winter for five months, and watched the yellow fan
run true.  Mission accomplished!  That yellow fan stirs up quite a bit
of air!

Will in Wisconsin
63 TR4 Powder Blue

Note:  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.