[TR] O2 sensor & 'Engine Exhaust Gas Analyzer'

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Mon Mar 31 05:43:54 MST 2008

Paul,

I think that using an O2 sensor is a great idea.  BUT, first off, the standard sensor has a minimal region of linear response, so for the mest part you will only read "rich" or "lean".

A wide-band sensor has a much longer (mostly) linear region.  But you need some special electronics to drive and read it.  There are a few different devices such as this around.  I have one of these:  http://www.innovatemotorsports.com

It works well, and I use the adapter that allows you to sitck it up the tailpipe to get your readings.  Unfortunately, it does require a reasonably well sealed exhaust system.

I found that the local gasoline with ethanol added clearly needs richer needles on the carbs.  About 5% righer overall.  It seems we have 10% ethanol in the gas.  The sensor works really well.

-Tony