[TR] O2 sensor & 'Engine Exhaust Gas Analyzer'

Rick patton at suscom-maine.net
Sun Mar 30 19:29:29 MST 2008

Hello Paul,

I think that they have misled you on this item. When your TR was built O2
sensors had not been invented. The add copy is very misleading. What they
show in the photo is a typical single wire sensor as used in the mid
eighties GM cars and trucks. It's a very common sensor and available at all
the parts stores for about the price offered. It has limited use for tuning
as it is a narrow band sensor meaning it will only show a small percentage
plus or minus from optimum of 14.7.

If your tester has only a single lead (or two with one being ground) it may
work. You may need to add a bung to keep it close to the exhaust manifold so
it will be heated by the exhaust. You can get a bung and a plug at most any
auto parts stores. The newer higher end testers use three or four wire wide
band sensors so they can be internally heated especially when slipped into
the tail pipe. You haven't spent a bunch of money on the sensor so should
give it a shot. Most good running TR's will read on the rich side.

Rick Patton
rick at pattonmachine.com
http://pattonmachine.com