[TR] TR3A replacement "laygear" (Countershaft)

amcewen2 at cogeco.ca amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 27 12:18:52 MST 2008

> > I took the GB out over the winter and my mechanic says it's
> > thrown a tooth on the Laygear (Countershaft?).   Moss & TRF
> > don't seem to stock them for the 2-3A
>
> I must be confused.  Don't you mean P/N 105625 (Moss 841-010) ?  Both
> sources seem to show it as available ... TRF even has a listing for used
> ones.

I've not seen the G/B since talking to my mechanic so hopefully you're right, I took it to mean he as refering to
848-365 which Moss lists as unavailable.

> > Or I could buy a used GB (without knowing its condition) and
> > lose my overdrive (or xfer the o/d guts to the "new" one).
>
> I certainly wouldn't give up the OD; it's not that hard to transfer to a
> 'new' box as long as you find the right mainshaft.  If you stick with
> 3-synchro, you can use your old mainshaft.

Yeah I'm not fond of that option either.  I'd had the synchros replaced on my box a few years ago and swapping boxes (or
even parts) with an unknown seems like a step backwards..

> Or if you like I could even take a dig through my junk box (not now though,
> maybe in May), there should be several in there and likely at least one of
> them is good.

Thanks, it might come to that, although that will mean not getting the car back on the road until June :(

> Yet another option (though not one I recommend at all) is to find someone to
> try to repair the gear.  Weld the tooth back up, machine it to shape, then
> heat treat the whole thing.

LOL, oddly enough I was just saying to somebody else that's what we would have done back home on the farm.. ;)