[TR] TR3 hard to slide into 1st gear

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Mar 26 07:33:31 MST 2008

On 26 Mar 2008 at 9:54, Chip19474 at aol.com wrote:

> a wise old gent told me to always shift briefly into 2nd gear
> first before shifting into 1st gear after stopping.

Of course that works by letting the 2nd gear synchro slow down the
gearbox innards to match the stationary driveshaft.  But there is
another possible cause.  At least on my GT6 the ultimate non-spinning
status sometimes leaves the shafts in a position such that the dogs
for 1st will not mesh easily.  Naturally I discover this only after a
traffic light has turned green.  Most of the time putting it into 2nd
does not help, nor does 3rd or 4th.  Putting it into 2nd and letting
the clutch out a bit helps some by getting the car moving slightly.
Mostly I'm in a panic by then as cars behind me start to lean on
their horns and take their fingers out of their holsters.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+