[TR] [6pack] Uprated front axles

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Mon Mar 24 08:35:57 MST 2008

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008, John Mitchell wrote:

>   I'm planning on rebuilding the front end on my TR6 and was wondering
> about A.R.E.'s uprated spindles.  The car is a street driver and I've
> never noticed any brake kick back in a turn.  Is this something I should
> include in a complete rebuild?  Thanks,  John Mitchell   76TR6

I have to data points to add to this one (somewhat behind on my e-mail, so
apologies if the material has been covered).

1. if your spindles are perfect (and to determine this, you want to have
them checked for cracks), then you don't need the beefy axles. However, to
set expectations - keep in mind that we're talking 30-40 year old cars
with parts - STRESSED PARTS - that have been through who knows how many
stresses over that period.

2. if you ever drive on winding roads with "vigor" OR you autocross ever.

The thing with the kickback is not so much that the workaround is tough,
as you just pump the pedal once or twice and you have the brakes back. The
thing is that if you're not used to such action, by the time your brain
determines "oh ya, pad kickback", you might be too far out of control (or
past the limit) to effectively "fix" it.

Don't freak, though. Get the spindles and vertical links checked for
cracks and the "go from there".

As some of us have found, getting the old axle stubs out to install the
new ones can be "lots of fun", and a lot of times when you pull the vert.
link out of the trunnion you find "other problems" on those parts too.

If I was doing a full front end restoration, I'd pull the parts and haul
them to an automotive machinist to check for cracks and then buy what I
need. If you pulling parts from a parts car, assume that the parts you
pull might not be "serviceable". I have a stack of vertical links that I
can't get apart (yet). But I live in the beneficiary region otherwise
known as "the rust belt".

All that said, the beefy axles are really nice and you won't be sorry that
you laid out the money for them. Once installed, and especially for a
street car, its a part that you won't have to worry about for a long, long
time (if ever).

Regards,
rml