[TR] TR6 transmission - locating shoulder bolts - where to buy

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Mon Mar 24 07:05:54 MST 2008

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the List over the last couple
of days on how to make or where to buy the right locating dowels or
bolts to properly locate a TR6 transmission.

You can readily buy shoulder bolts from suppliers like Fastenal with 3/8
ground shoulders and 5/16 threads for this.  The ground shoulders on
these catalogue bolts are a touch too long, but this is easily fixed by
placing a thick washer under the head of the shoulder bolts.

I am also convinced that not using these to get the proper concentric
location of all the rotating bits will result in many of the clutch and
TOB bearings we tend to encounter.  In my case, I didn't use them the
last time around - in my ignorance, I used only 5/16 bolts - and this
resulted in a flywheel pilot bushing failure that squealed just like a
failed TOB.

As a final thought , using dowel pins only with locktite won't provide
enough clamping force (apparently early TR6's suffered from this) - so
this should be avoided as well - it will result in its own special
failure (engine transmission separation).

Cheers,
Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg