[TR] TR3 compression test

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 19 22:07:12 MST 2008

> I ended up buying a new gear reduction starter and when testing
> with the starter, the compresssion rate definitely went up.
> Now I am worried it may be too high.

Jeremiah, this is exactly why one should never look at the absolute value of
the compression readings, only the variation between cylinders.  Obviously
(I hope !) changing the starter did not change the condition of the valves,
rings and cylinder walls; which is what you are trying to gauge with a
compression test.

So, I would say the 140 psi is no concern at all.  And since the maximum
variation from the average (142.5) is less than 10%, I'd say the condition
of the rings, valve, etc. is acceptable.  5% would be better, but 10 will
do.

Randall