[TR] TR3 back up light question

Joe Laurito trglory at comcast.net
Wed Mar 19 09:37:04 MST 2008

Bob;

The sad truth is that some of us veteran TR3 drivers are older than our cars
and the eyes just don't work as good as they used to (especially at night).
I used to be able to navigate backwards at night using the faint red
glow.....that just don't get the job done anymore. A backup light is being
installed on my TR3 resurrection also.

I am "strictly stock" most of the time, but I believe that safety trumps
tradition. I understand my limitations and don't intend to be a danger to
myself or others on the road, so I make changes when I feel they are
necessary (I learned this from a guy named Bob Schaller).

You are correct when you state that the electrical system may struggle to
support a back up light. In fact, the basic electrical system is so woefully
inadequate that it sometimes cannot even support the standard components. I
changed over to an alternator and now have white headlights instead of
yellow. You are also correct in stating that a whole new wiring circuit must
be added for the light.

Joe Laurito
Central PA Triumph Club